Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Into the Woods -- Part 1 of my first foray into The Burned Woods

Yesterday my illusionist did the key quest Little Whiskersnapper. I took a break afterwards and left her standing near the burynai's den in Obulus Frontier. When I returned, I got a private message from another player, Fahker, congratulating me on the key.

The key? What key?

While I was AFK for sixteen minutes I received a burnt key. I had seen zone-wide messages when other players received them, but I knew nothing else about this mysterious item, so I happily accepted Fahker's generous offer to help me.

Fahker found the quest-giver Mujahid Muktaar near Bethezid's Watch using tracking.  So if you need to find Mujahid Muktaar and you do not have tracking, bring a friend who does.

Mujahid was not pleased to see me. "Please leave me be, I am meditating."
I had three responses to choose from:
  • Hello, good sir! I am in need of run speed... Can you assist?
  • d00d sow plz
  • Obviously you are a necromancer and as such cannot cast Spirit of the Wolf on me. Good day, sir!
The last one obviously wasn't going to get me anywhere, so I tried the second one: "d00d sow plz"
He said "Do I look like a shaman or a druid to you?"
I wanted to be snarky and say "Yes, totally!" but my only option was to be humble and say "I was mistaken, sorry to bother you. Good day, sir!"
Mujahid replied "I wish I could, but I don't have SoW. I'm a necromancer."
Hmmm, I got two choices for responses:
  • Pfft, sow me already, it's for a cr.
  • Pfft, fine. Be that way!
Both sounded a bit snarky, but I really really wanted to find out what a burnt key can do for me, so I went with the first, slightly less snarky "Pfft, sow me already, it's for a cr."
"Necromancers can't cast SoW," he told me.
Okay, he probably thought I am an idiot for trying to get a necromancer to cast Spirit of the Wolf on me so I can run faster. But hey, it's not my fault I had such limited responses to choose from!

This time around I could pick between:
  • Oh, sorry! G'luck!
  • Bull! I saw you speed up earlier!
I didn't feel like telling him I was sorry for anything, so I went with the more confrontational "Bull! I saw you speed up earlier!" (I did? When? Nevermind, he's just an NPC. He won't know I never saw him before just now.)
"I have JBoots...." he replied. Damn, I could practically hear his disdain for me!
And did I get to choose an answer that would make me seem more intelligent? Well, no.
  • Oh... hmm... kthxbye...
  • What are THOSE?!
  • I'm never going to get my corpse back....
Umm, wait, what?! Get my corpse back?! There haven't been corpse runs in this game since... well, before I started playing in 2008. Definitely not going with that answer.

I didn't think the first one would get me anywhere, so I answered "What are THOSE?!"
He didn't bother telling me what JBoots are, but it sounded like he was offering me... something. "I can't buff you, I'm a Necromancer. I only have one buff that you would probably want."

Should I say:
  • Which one? Oh, nevermind
  • Floaty buff? No thanks, jerk.
  • Yeah, the one you won't give me
Calling him a jerk will probably not get me anything good, so the second option is definitely out. The first one sounds like it might end the conversation, so I said "Yeah, the one you won't give me."
It sounded like he was losing what little patience he had where I am concerned. "Is there something else you need? I am getting tired of this."

I could get to the real point of my visit, finally! "Pfft! Ugg, okay, fine. I found this burnt key... Can you tell me anything about it?"
Oh, hey, that got him to his feet! Maybe a burnt key is really important. "Uh, yeah, sure! Ummm... It's for the Burned Woods. Yeah, that's it...."

Or maybe he didn't actually know anything about it. He sure didn't sound very definite. I really wanted to know more, but my only choices were:
  • I hate the heat... Pass!
  • ?
I wasn't not backing out now, so I answered "?"

He sat back down. I suspected I was not going to get much more out of him. "It's not near here anymore... It moves."

It did not look promising. I got two choices:
  • ??
  • Jerk, I'll figure it out myself
As tempting as it was to call Mujahid a jerk, I refrained from doing so. All I said wass "??"

"No, really, the entrance changes location every so often," he told me.

I could quit now, or keep questioning him:
  • ???
  • Whatever... I'll be going now
I wasn't leaving until I had wrung every drop of information I could from this necromancer, so I really only had one option, "???"  was my reply.
"I can't tell you where it is right now, but I know it's out there somewhere. Good luck!" was his very unhelpful answer.

I only had one option for an answer: "No, really, where is it?" (And he'd better tell me, dammit!)
Or not. "Last I heard, it was in South Freeport, but it's moved since then!"

This guy obviously didn't know squat. I was starting to grit my teeth when I answered. "thx?"
OMG, finally! A quest window popped up! I hurried to accept it so I could leave.
He was not done being condescending, however. "Wrong punctuation mark, but 'C' for effort! Anyway, you should go west... No, east!"

"Uh okay..." Yeah, I am so out of here.
Now to start searching for the entrance to the Burned Woods...

Continued in Part 2, click HERE


2 comments:

  1. HI there! I'm trying to hunt down what started the burnt key quest and I have a few questions about your experience if you're willing to share: (1) had you recently issued a petition to DBG for help? (2) do you have a Wizard on your account, perhaps a DE that you recently leveled at least to 31? (3) Had you recently been in the northern Kylong Plains area (near Chardok) doing anything? (4) Did you recently complete any quests in the EQ2 equivalent area of "The Overthere"? (5) This one will seem weird, but had you recently had Spirit of the Wolf cast on you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few more quick questions (based on what others had been doing prior to getting their key): had you recently killed any slugs in OF? Had you recently flown around Crusaders Cave entrance? Had you been in Twark at all in the prior few hours? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete